At CSIS we actively seek to employ a diverse group of people who embody our organizational values. We welcome and encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply, especially those from traditionally underrepresented groups.
The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers concerned with global security and prosperity. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of some 200 employees, including more than 120 analysts working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
The iDeas Lab seeks highly motivated and creative candidates for a full-time, three- or six-month data research internship to join our dynamic and fast-paced team immediately. Responsibilities span a range of qualitative and quantitative data analysis and research tasks, including data gathering, cleaning, and visualization, as well as policy-oriented research and writing.
The iDeas Lab, the award-winning creative and digital production department at CSIS, enhances CSIS's policy research and analysis with the latest in cutting-edge web technologies, design, video, and audio.
The successful candidate will primarily support the data research initiatives of the iDeas Lab related to international affairs, foreign policy, and U.S.-China relations. Because of the fast-paced work environment, we are looking for a motivated self-starter that can engage in a wide variety of analytic and logistical work. The internship is structured to provide emerging professionals with practical experience that will deepen their professional portfolios.
The intern will be paid an hourly rate of $16.10-18.10, commensurate with experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
* Data gathering, cleaning, and preliminary analysis to support iDeas Lab's data initiatives
* Build data visualizations with tools like Datawrapper and Flourish
* Document data research process and present analysis findings
* Conduct qualitative research to support data initiatives, using Chinese and U.S. scholarly sources, government websites, and company reports
* Write policy memos and briefing documents to present research findings
* Translate Chinese-language sources to English
* Provide logistical and administrative support
* Perform a variety of other project-related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
* Bachelor's degree in data science/analytics or statistics with an interest in international affairs; or a degree in international affairs or security studies with data analytics concentration/experience required
* Must have at least a 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) from an accredited U.S. institution or equivalent from a non-U.S. institution
* Interest or prior work/research experience in international security, China-US relations, maritime trade, and supply chain issues
Data Gathering, Cleaning, Analysis, and Visualization
* Excellent Excel skills. Experience in Python and Jupyter Notebook highly preferred
* The ability to collect, curate, and analyse data with minimal oversight
* Detail-oriented, patient, and persistent personality to gather and clean large sets of un-curated raw data
* The ability to think critically and creatively to come up with analysis methodologies
* Must be able to effectively communicate analysis results and findings, and defend methodologies when they were questioned
* Basic to excellent understanding of data visualization principles, and experience in EDA or visualizing data to present analysis findings
* Experience in presenting a data analysis project to an audience with no data background
* Must have exceptional writing and research skills
* Native or proficient Mandarin language skills (reading and writing). The ability to search terms and read scholarly and government sources in Mandarin and translate Mandarin-written sources to English
* An academic or professional background in Chinese foreign policy highly preferred
* Demonstrated experience managing competing priorities and multiple projects under tight deadlines
* Professional and positive attitude
* Work in-person or hybrid (2-3 days per week). Good work ethic and communication skills to effectively work in a hybrid working environment.
* Must be eligible to work in the United States
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK CONDITIONS:
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee working in an office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, college transcript, and 3-5 page writing sample at https://careers.csis.org.